Sunday, July 3, 2011

Treacle Tart

Photobucket

Wotcher! I have just returned from my second goodbye to Harry Potter. A solemn moment of silence would be appropriate.

Ok, so not long ago you would have caught me complaining about how the movies would never match up to the books, but a little hypocrisy is allowed.Besides, I'm allowed to be sentimental,
I'm a girl.

11 years spent in enjoyment and speculation and wonder (and in my dad's case, sending money towards J.K. Rowling. He's one person who is glad that we've seen the last of this franchise :P ). Like many others, I grew up with Harry Potter(and wishing India had a Hogwarts equivalent). And because I was part of the phenomenon, I've come to hold it in uncritical affection. Say what you want, J.K.R. created a world that we all loved at one point or the other. So many memories, of books, movies, family time, and discussions with friends over the years (a common ice breaker, HP was). The one time where I forged a letter from Hogwarts for a friend turning 11. Good times, good times.

I do not say that it was worth the hype. Not my place, really. I only know, that in all the books I've ever read, and will come to read, my time spent with this series will always be something special.

My expectations were set at the right level to enjoy the last movie, and with the credits on that rolling, we have finally reached the official end of Harry Potter. (Yes, I know pottermore is there, but it is not yet promising, and JKR was far too mysterious in her video to inspire any interest in me.) After all this time, there's not much I can say. I find no better way to wrap it up, really, than to quote Dumbeldore's last words to Harry-


"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?"




1 comment:

deathstar said...

yeah it's finally over now. i completely agree with the sentiments, especially the 'uncritical affection' part of it! i really should see the movie though! heard it was really good1